Notice of Public Hearing
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
A Public Hearing on the following proposed Ordinance will be held before the Finance Committee on Monday, August 7, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. Council Chambers, 869 Park Avenue, Cranston, RI. pursuant to Section 3.12 of the Charter.
Complete copies of proposed Ordinances are available for public review at the City Clerk’s Office and the Cranston Central Library and can be viewed on the City’s website cranstonri.com under calendar by clicking on the meeting date.
“Individuals requesting interpreter services for the deaf or hard of hearing must notify the City Clerk’s Office at 461-1000 ext. 3197 seventy-two (72) hours in advance of the hearing date.”
Council Vice-President Maria Medeiros Wall, JD
Michael W. Favicchio, Chair City Clerk
NO. 9-17-2 IN AMENDMENT OF
TITLE 3 OF THE CODE OF THE CITY OF CRANSTON, 2005,
“REVENUE AND FINANCE”
(Council’s Budget Analyst)
It is ordained by the City Council of the City of Cranston as follows:
SECTION 1. Title 3.04.170 “Council’s Internal Auditor” is hereby amended by deleting there from in its entirety the following section entitled:
(Sec. 3.04.170 – Council’s Internal Auditor)
And by adding thereto the following new section:
3.04.170 - Council’s Budget Analyst
The city council by a majority of all its members shall appoint a council’s budget analyst, (who has be known as and hereinafter referred to as “council’s budget analyst”), who shall have a minimum of five-years’ experience in finance, operational auditing or equivalent training or experience. The city council’s budget analyst shall have access to the books and records of all offices, departments and other agencies of the city, and it shall be the duty of all officers and employees thereof to supply such information and documents concerning the affairs of the city as the council’s budget analyst may request.
A. Powers and Duties of the Council’s Budget Analyst. The powers and duties of the council’s budget analyst shall be, without limitation, the following:
1. To perform requested analysis, projections or forecasts of all offices, departments and other agencies of the city, and additional review as directed by the committee on finance of the city council or by resolution of the city council;
2. To report the findings of his/her analysis to the city council at least quarterly;
3. To issue a report to the city council at least annually of all operation of the city;
4. To advise the audit committee and to submit such reports and financial data, information and statements to the audit committee as it may from time to time require;
5. To submit such reports and financial data, information and statements to the city council as it may from time to time require;
6. To perform such other duties as may be assigned by ordinance and perform other analysis, forecasting or projections of an official nature as may be required by the city council.
B. Scope of Duties. The Budget Analyst’s shall include, but shall not be limited to determining:
1. Whether financial operations are properly conducted in accordance with standards for governmental accounting and generally accepted financial protocols.
2. Whether said entity is operating within its budgetary limits;
3. Whether said entity is in compliance with the state constitution, the city’s charter, city ordinances and all other applicable laws and regulations;
4. Whether said entity is managing and utilizing its resources in an economical and efficient manner;
5. Whether the management information system, administrative procedures and organizational structure are adequate to ensure the timeliness and reliability of management information;
6. Whether the property of the city is properly accounted for and safeguarded from losses;
7. Whether the objectives or benefits of the studied entities are being achieved.
No director of any department or other officer or employee of the city shall take any action which in any way prevents the council’s budget analyst from obtaining direct access in such manner as he/she deems appropriate to any records or information under the control of said department including, without limitation, that the council’s budget analyst shall not be required to take any action through any department director or with the prior consent of any department director.
SECTION 2: This ordinance shall take effect upon its final adoption.
Sponsored by Council President Farina
Referred to Finance Committee
October 2, 2017