Children's crafts and other summer activities are back at Green Animals Topiary Garden in Portsmouth, with a series of weekly programs inspired by the "David Rogers' Big Bugs" exhibition now on display. Every Tuesday morning through Aug. 31, "Pollinator
Children’s crafts and other summer activities are back at Green Animals Topiary Garden in Portsmouth, with a series of weekly programs inspired by the “David Rogers’ Big Bugs” exhibition now on display.
Every Tuesday morning through Aug. 31, “Pollinator Pop-Ups” will guide children through the creation of their own bug-inspired crafts, from bee puppets to pollinator fans to butterfly wings and more. The series also includes a storytime session and family yoga led by a professional instructor.
After the activity, children and their families are welcome to explore the garden, see the “Big Bugs” sculpture exhibition and learn about the importance of pollinators and other bugs in nature.
The programs are designed for children 4 and older, who must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. An activity fee of $5 per child covers the cost of the provided materials, and the purchase of admission to Green Animals is required for all adults and children ages 6 through 17. Admission is free for Preservation Society members. Advance registration is required at newportmansions.org/learn/kids-families.
The “Pollinator Pop-Ups” schedule is:
• Family Yoga in the Garden: Tuesday, July 20, 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Yoga and meditation in a peaceful setting with Elyse Rotondo from OmKids Yoga. Bring your own mat. Activity fee is $10.
• Sculpt a Pollinator: Tuesday, July 27, 10:30 a.m.-noon. Mold a sculpture inspired by “David Rogers’ Big Bugs” or from the topiaries at Green Animals.
• Pollinator Storytime: Tuesday, Aug. 3, 10:30 a.m.-11 a.m. Enjoy a pollinator-themed book designed to foster an appreciation for the importance of pollinators in our environment.
• Join the Pollinator “Fan” Club: Tuesday, Aug. 10, 10:30 a.m.-noon. Create your own hand fan decorated with creatures or flowers from the garden.
• Bumblebee Puppet: Tuesday, Aug. 17, 10:30 a.m.-noon. A simple and fun way to create puppet friend to take around the garden in search of flowers.
• Build Butterfly Wings: Tuesday, Aug. 24, 10:30 a.m.-noon. Let your imagination fly as you design your own colorful, wearable Butterfly Wings.
• Colorful Butterflies: Tuesday, Aug. 31, 10:30 a.m.-noon. What happens when you put together color, water and coffee filters? A colorful butterfly appears!
Each program is limited to a small group. Advance registration is required at www.newportmansions.org/learn/kids-families.