Police Digest

Posted 2/19/20

Police: Masked intruders leave home 'not habitable' A Valentine's Day incident in which masked intruders entered a home and damaged its utility services to the point it is no longer habitable remains under investigation, according to Cranston Police. In

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in

Police Digest

Posted

Police: Masked intruders leave home ‘not habitable’

A Valentine’s Day incident in which masked intruders entered a home and damaged its utility services to the point it is no longer habitable remains under investigation, according to Cranston Police.

In a statement, Maj. Todd Patalano said the home invasion occurred at 210 Pontiac Ave. at approximately 6:10 p.m. on Feb. 14. No one was injured, he said.

“At least two suspects wearing masks forced entry to the occupied home,” the statement reads. “They did extensive damage to the utility services resulting in the officers having to evacuate the home, so it did not cause an explosion or fire.”

Patalano said an initial investigation has determined the incident was not a “random crime.” Meanwhile, a person of interest was taken into custody by Providence Police near the border between the two cities shortly after the initial response. It was unclear Tuesday whether charges have been filed or additional arrests made in the case.

Woman found safe after Silver Alert

An 87-year-old woman who was the subject of a Silver Alert on Feb. 17 was found safe later that day, according to police.

The woman was located in Massachusetts, near the Vermont border, and was in “good health,” according to a statement from Maj. Todd Patalano.

According to police, the woman – who has early onset dementia – had recently moved from Vermont to Cranston to live with her daughter. She is said to have left the Cranston home between 8:30 a.m. and 9 a.m. She obtained a vehicle, and police were able to track her movements through her cell phone for much of the day.

The Silver Alert was shared widely on social media, and Cranston Police thanked members of the community for their assistance during the search.

Cranston man sentenced for role in home invasion

A Cranston resident was sentenced to a lengthy prison term last week for his role in a March 2019 home invasion and standoff in Providence.

Pedro Gomez, 29, pleaded no contest to charges of burglary, using a firearm during a crime of violence, possession of a pistol without a license, conspiracy to commit burglary and possession of three pistols after being convicted of a crime of violence, according to a statement from the office of Attorney General Peter Nerohna.

Appearing in Superior Court, Gomez received a 50-year sentence, with 30 years to serve at the Adult Correctional Institutions and the remaining 20 years suspended.

Two other men were also sentenced to prison for their roles in the home invasion.

Jose Rodriguez, 33, of Warwick pleaded no contest to the same charges as Gomez, although he was declared a habitual offender by the court and received a 60-year sentence, including 20 years during which he is ineligible for parole.

Andre Savage, 24, of Providence pleaded no contest to charges of burglary, using a firearm during a crime of violence, conspiracy to commit burglary and possession of three pistols after being convicted of a crime of violence. He received a 40-year sentence, with 25 years to serve at the ACI and 15 years suspended.

According to Neronha’s office, at approximately 1 a.m. on March 19, 2019, the three men forcefully entered a second-floor residence in Providence with the intent of robbing its occupants. All three men were armed, prosecutors say.

It appears likely, however, that the men – who allegedly planned to steal drugs – targeted the wrong home. They are said to have assaulted a man and woman in the home, while another male occupant is said to have escaped the residence through a window and contacted police.

Law enforcement surrounded the home and evacuated nearby houses before engaging in several hours of negotiations with the three suspects. The incident was concluded without further injury and the men were taken into custody.

“These defendants are precisely the kind of individuals who deserve, and who are receiving, our most focused law enforcement efforts,” Neronha said in a press release. “They, and others like them, drive violent crime in our state. The long sentences imposed yesterday are entirely warranted, and Rhode Islanders are safer as a result.”

RISP: Warwick man arrested for DUI twice on Valentine’s Day

A Warwick man was arrested on charges of driving under the influence twice within an 18-hour span on Valentine’s Day, according to Rhode Island State Police.

Patrick M. Cahill, 61, of 61 Suburban Parkway, was initially arrested after troopers stopped his vehicle as it traveled in the wrong direction on Interstate 95 north in Warwick shortly before 3 a.m. on Feb. 14. In addition to driving under the influence, he was charged with reckless driving.

Cahill appeared in Third Division District Court later that morning and entered a plea of no contest, according to State Police. Hours later, at approximately 8:43 p.m., he was again stopped on Interstate 95 in East Greenwich and arrested on a charge of driving under the influence, second offense. He was additionally charged with driving after denial, revocation or suspension of a driver’s license for certain violations.

Cahill was held as a probation violator over the weekend and was scheduled to again appear in court on Monday.

Cahill was one of 11 motorists across the state arrested by troopers on charges of driving under the influence between Feb. 13-15, according to State Police. In a press release, the agency said that the State Police Traffic Safety Unit has arrested 109 motorists on impaired driving charges since its creation in November 2019.

“In the past three months, since the Traffic Safety Unit was formed, impaired driving arrests on Rhode Island roadways have increased 157 percent,” State Police Superintendent Col. James Manni said. “These statistics represent our commitment to protecting the safety of all Rhode Islanders from the menace of impaired drivers.”

Others arrested as part of the unit’s operations between Feb. 13-15 include:

Jeffrey A. Lumb, 40, 45 Lebaron Drive, East Greenwich, was arrested just after 2 a.m. on Feb. 13 on charges of driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test. He was arrested as a result of a motor vehicle stop on Pettaconsett Avenue in Cranston.

Raymind D. Cruz, 30, 18 Lantern Lane, Coventry, was arrested at approximately 12:13 a.m. on Feb. 15 on charges of driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test. He was arrested as a result of a motor vehicle stop on Interstate 95 south in Cranston.

Marquis L. Brewster, 36, 32 Oak St., Cranston, was arrested at approximately 1:45 a.m. on Feb. 15 on a charge of driving under the influence. He was arrested as a result of a motor vehicle stop on Plainfield Street in Providence. -- Daniel Kittredge

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment