Posted 6/11/21


On May 10, at 8:17 a.m., Johnston Police responded to a Hopkins Avenue address to investigate a report of disorderly conduct.

On the scene, police spoke to the man who called police, …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in




On May 10, at 8:17 a.m., Johnston Police responded to a Hopkins Avenue address to investigate a report of disorderly conduct.

On the scene, police spoke to the man who called police, Joseph Maggiacomo, who said that prior to the arrival of police, he and another man, later identified as Marvin Gamez Carrascoza, argued and fought.

Maggiacomo told police that Carrascoza picked up a garden hoe and struck him in the back twice.

Maggiacomo told police that he punched Carrascoza in the face in self-defense.

Police noted a red mark on Maggiacomo’s back, consistent with the wooden handle of the garden hoe. Maggiacomo told police that he wanted to pursue a criminal complaint. He completed a hand-written statement.

Next, police spoke to Carrascoza, who presented a Guatemalan identification card. He told police that Maggiacomo was upset with him because he missed a week of work. He said that Maggiacomo called him “an illegal” and at that time he became upset.

Carrascoza told police he confronted Maggiacomo, who responded by punching him in the face.

Police noted dried blood under Carrascoza’s nose. Carrascoza told police that when he was puched, he had been holding a garden hoe, and that Maggiacomo had tried pulling it away from him after striking him in the face.

Carrascoza told police that Maggiacomo was kicking him at this time, and that they wrestled to the ground.

Carrascoza told police that he struck Maggiacomo in the back with the garden hoe in self-defense.

Carrascoza said he was in fear that Maggiacomo would keep assaulting him, police wrote in their report. Carrascoza completed a handwritten witness statement and said that he wished to pursue criminal charges against Maggiacomo.

A witness on the scene told police that he observed Maggiacomo giving Carrascoza a hard time about not coming into work. When the witnessed turned around, he observed the two men fighting. He told police he saw Carrascoza trying to defend himself with the garden hoe. The witness filled out a statement.

Later, police reviewed video surveillance, which showed Carrascoza working, while Maggiacomo walked around him and made an unknown comment.

Police said Carrascoza immediately became visibly upset and confronted Maggiacomo.

Carrascoza was using the garden hoe to clean a front-loading tractor, police said.

Police said that Maggiacomo pushed Carrascoza, who struck the ground while holding the garden hoe.

Police watched on video as Maggiacomo once again confronted Carrascoza, and struck him in the face with a closed fist and pulled the garden hoe away from him, according to the police report.

Police said the two men wrestled for the garden hoe and both men kicked each other multiple times. Maggiacomo fell to the ground, and at that time Carrascoza raised the garden hoe over his head and struck Maggiacomo in the back twice, according to the police report.

Carrascoza immediately began to retreat, while still holding the garden hoe, police said. Other employees then arrived on scene and kept both parties separated until police arrived.

Based on the investigation and video surveillance footage, Johnston police charged Carrascoza, of 104 Canton St., Providence, with Felony Assault and Disorderly Conduct.

Maggiacomo, of 99 Tallman Ave., Cranston, was charged with Simple Assault and Disorderly Conduct.

Since Maggiacomo complained with back pain, he was not taken into custody, but released on the scene with a 3rd District Court Summons, requiring him to appear in court on Aug. 2. Johnston Rescue personnel transported him to the hospital.

Photographs of their injuries were taken and added to the police report.

Carrascoza was taken into custody, handcuffed and transported to police headquarters. He was processed and photographed, and transported to court for arraignment.


Alishia T. Cinami, of 67 Joslin St., Apt. #R, Providence, was taken into custody by Johnston Police on June 1.

Cinami was wanted by the Seekonk Police Department for larceny-organized retail.

She was taken into custody, placed in hand cuffs and transported back to police headquarters.

Cinami appeared before Justice of the Peace Joseph Solomon in reference to Fugitive from Justice charges stemming from an active extraditable warrant out of Seekonk, Mass. As a result, a Writ of Habeas Corpus and Mittimus was completed and Cinami was transported to Womans ACI Intake Center pending the extradition process.


Around 2:45 a.m. on May 24, two Johnston police officers responded to the East Providence Police Department to pick up Lynn Turner, who had an active Johnston Police warrant.

Johnston Police wanted Turner, of 50 Starr St., Johnston, on Shoplifting and Willful Trespass charges.

The charges stem from an incident on March 28, when police responded to The Home Depot, 100 Stone Hill Drive, for a report of shoplifting.

Upon arrival at 4:40 p.m., police met with the loss prevention manager who stated a woman entered the store and proceeded to the electrical department where she took two electrical breakers, valued at $198, and three electrical plugs, valued at $165.

Loss prevention told police a woman concealed the items in her handbag, and then proceeded to leave the store with the items, walking past all points of purchase, making no attempt to pay, and fled just before police arrived on the scene.

Store security provided a video recording of the incident. Police took photos of the suspect and uploaded them to the police report. The incident was forwarded to the Johnston Detective Division.

Detective Thomas M. Dwyer picked up the case and went to the store to view the video surveillance. Upon viewing the video, Dwyer said he immediately identified the suspect as Turner.

Turner was allegedly pushing a shopping cart with a baby carrier in the carriage. A blanket covered the carrier, police wrote in their report.

Police performed a criminal background check and found that Turner had five previous charges, including two previous shoplifting charges. On Sept. 18, 2020, a trespass notice was issued on Turner after an arrest at The Home Depot for shoplifting electrical equipment.

On March 29, at 12:50 p.m., Dwyer contacted Turner and asked her if she had been to The Home Depot on March 28. Turner allegedly told police that she was at the store but did not make a purchase, due to a loss prevention officer confronting her before she exited the store, Dwyer wrote in the police report.

Turner told Dwyer that she removed the items from her pocket book, which consisted of a bedroom light pull cord and turned around and placed them on the shelf inside the store, according to the police report.

Dwyer told Turner that the incident was captured on video and the loss prevention officer witnessed her conceal the electrical equipment, which she neglected to purchase, in her pocket book, according to the police report.

Dwyer said that Turner denied the allegations and said that she was not aware of a trespass order, restricting her presence at The Home Depot, according to the police report.

Dwyer said that Turner was issued the no trespass order when she appeared in court on Nov. 9, 2020.

A copy of the video surveillance flash drive and still shots of Turner allegedly exiting the business, pushing a carriage with the unpaid concealed electrical items and a baby carrier (with no baby) were tagged as evidence.

Police also logged photos of the loss prevention officer running out of the store and stopping Turner before she entered the parking lot, according to the police report.

Police said that at no time did Turner remove any articles from her pocket book and then return back into the store and place them on the shelf as she stated.

Police prepared an affidavit and arrest warrant for shoplifting and willful trespass. Turner contacted Dwyer at 2:05 p.m. on April 6 and told him she would be turning herself in at headquarters the next day. On April 7, however, Turner did not contact Dwyer again, and did not turn herself in at headquarters, according to the police report.

East Providence Police took Turner into custody on May 24, and she was turned over to Johnston Police.


On May 21, Johnston Police Officer Charles M. Psilopoulos responded to the intersection of Killingly Street and Cedar Street for a multiple vehicle collision with injuries.

Upon arrival, Psilopoulos saw a vehicle facing east, another facing south, and a motorcycle facing north, all on Killingly Street.

Providence and North Providence Fire/Rescue personnel were on scene attending to all involved. Photos were captured on scene and added to the police report.

As a result of Psilopoulos’s investigation, one driver was charged with several counts.

Police charged one of the drivers, Leah M. Fiocco, of 37 Lafayette St., Johnston, with two felony counts of Driving so as to Endanger, Resulting in Physical Injury, and misdemeanor counts of Reckless Driving and Obstructin an Officer In Execution of Duty, according to the police report.

On May 26, Fiocco willingly turned herself in to police headquarters. She was processed and held pending arraignment. Later that day she was arraigned before Justice of the Peace Emili Varizi and released on $10,000 bail with Sixth District Court date of Sept. 14.


At around 10:10 p.m. on May 9, Johnston Police responded to 464 Central Ave. for a report of a disabled vehicle.

Upon arrival on scene, Johnston Police Officer Kevin W. Lyons met with the owner and driver of the vehicle, Peter Delellis, of 464 Central Ave., Johnston.

Delellis told police that he was driving on Atwood Avenue when his front passenger side tire began to come off.

He told police that he immediately drove to his residence and while he attempted to park, his car’s front passenger side wheel fell off the axle.

Police observed the vehicle to be inoperable and parked in the middle of Central Avenue. He tried pulling into his driveway, and as a result, damaged his mailbox and the mailbox belonging to a neighbor.

A background check showed Delellis had a suspended license, police wrote in their report.

Police said Delellis was issued a District Court notice to appear on Aug. 30 for Driving with a Suspended License-Third Offense, and released at the scene.

A registration check of the vehicle did not come back to any vehicle, police said. A VIN check showed the vehicle to be unregistered.

Delellis was also mailed a summons for Operation of an Unregistered Vehicle and Improper Use of Evidences of Registration. The vehicle plates were seized and the vehicle was towed from the scene.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment